Supported Decision-Making Statute
- Will be codified at Mont. Code Ann. §§ 72-5-305, -316, -319, -321, as of 04/12/2021, law enacted but not yet codified.
Link to Enacted Bill: www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=SF3357&version=latest&session=ls91&session_year=2020&session_number=0
- Senate Bill SB 31, Reg. Sess. 2021.
- Description: Requires consideration of less restrictive options in adult guardianship proceedings, including supported decisionmaking (sic).
- Status: Passed – became law 03/01/2021.
- Public Link: [https://laws.leg.mt.gov/legprd/LAW0210W$BSIV.ActionQuery?P_BILL_NO1=31&P_BLTP_BILL_TYP_CD=SB&Z_ACTION=Find&P_SESS=20211]
- Senate Bill 155, Reg. Sess. 2021.
- Description: Provides for equal access to anatomical gifts & organ transplantation, includes SDM.
- Status: Engrossed 2/9/2021, to House. Hearing in House on 3/30/2021.
- Public Link: [https://laws.leg.mt.gov/legprd/LAW0210W$BSIV.ActionQuery?P_BILL_NO1=155&P_BLTP_BILL_TYP_CD=SB&Z_ACTION=Find&P_SESS=20211]
- S.B. 202, 2019 Leg., 66th Reg. Sess. (Mont. 2019).
- Description: Would have formally recognized SDM as a less restrictive alternative to guardianship consistent with the Uniform Guardianship, Conservatorship, and Other Protective Arrangements Act.
- Status: Failed – Died in standing committee (Judiciary) on April 25, 2019.
- Public Link [legiscan.com/MT/bill/SB202/2019]
- Resources for Making Guardianship Decisions
- Fact Sheet: Alternatives to Guardianship (2018)
Information Last Updated: July 21, 2022